Welcome to Toads & Roads .


This is my blog. Here I will try to maintain a sense of humor and fairness. It might not always be possible but I will try, I really will.
Sometimes I may be sarcastic. That is what it is. Not asking you to like it or appreciate it but know that I will sometimes say exactly what I think.
Your choice to read, agree or disagree.

When I keep quiet and walk away, don't think you've won. I walked away because you weren't worth my time.


Please feel free to comment... I don't bite and welcome the interaction

Tuesday 4 September 2012

Reporting caches in violation of Groudspeak guidelines and/or Terms of Use

This is a grey area. Why report a cache?  Reviewers that I have talked to and in informal meetings and/or Meet & Greet's have said that we are their eyes.  That as cacher's we know more about the cache than they do.  When they get a cache for review they cannot see it, cannot see how it is hidden, if it meets the guidelines. Hence, they have to take us cache owners at our word.  They have to trust us.

I have been in the position of reporting a cache and therefore I have been ostracized because of it. Why?  
1.Apparently because I didn't do it right.
2. Everyone liked the cache.
3. It is not my business
4. All of the above

Well let's deal with this one at a time.
  1. Apparently because I didn't do it right
    1. Email the owner
      1. CO ignores you
      2. CO tells you to get lost in unpleasant language
    1. Make a comment on the cache page
      1. CO ignores it
      2. CO asks you to change it but refuses to fix the cache 
  2.  Everyone liked the cache
    1. I liked the cache too but it violates the guidelines and perpetuates copycat hides
  3. It is not my business
    1. Yes it is
      1. If it affects the game and where hides can be placed 
      2. If it is damaging to the environment
      3. If it violates Groundspeak Guidelines
      4. If it violates any Park, Municipal, Regional, Provincial, Federal, etc Geocaching Policy
        1. Therefore affecting the game
Now that brings us to the issue of  Cache logs and the Groudspeak Terms of Use.  The TOU's are pretty explicit about what can be expressed on a cache page and what both the cache finder and the cache owner can put on the cache page.  One must remember that these caches and logs can be seen by the world.  Anything explicit not only is a violation but IMO makes the poster look bad.  

I honestly try to be fairly subtle about anything negative I may put on a cache page.  Generally it is about the cache itself and not a person.  Others feel that this is the place to air their personal differences.  By naming a person or organization or even alluding to them in any way that there is no doubt about who they are is a violation of the TOU's.  Hence reporting to Groundspeak to have the issue resolved if the poster or CO refuses to resolve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment